Howe & Hutton, Ltd. provides full legal services to professional societies, trade associations, educational organizations, foundations and public charities. We advise clients in ongoing operations regarding planned and non-planned issues that arise. Our firm is a recognized industry leader and has clients throughout the nation and the world.
When our founding lawyers, Jonathan T. Howe and Terrence Hutton, established the firm in 1985, they intended it to be the foremost provider of legal services to the nonprofit and hospitality industry communities. Our firm has exceeded our own expectations, emerging as The Law Firm for Associations® and The Law Firm for Meeting Professionals®. Trade associations, professional societies and nonprofit organization clients turn to Howe & Hutton, Ltd. for comprehensive legal guidance in areas such as the following:
- Certification: We develop, establish and run certification, credentialing and accreditation programs. In this area, we routinely advise on issues regarding incorporation, tax exemption, eligibility criteria, testing, recertification, due process, codes of ethics and marketing.
- Intellectual property: We deal daily with copyright and trademark matters.
- Practice standards: We represent organizations that are engaged in standard setting activities. Often, these activities require counsel on antitrust issues, certification and regulatory work. Additionally, we develop codes of conduct and ethical standards and assist in the conduct of due process hearings involving alleged breaches of those codes.
- Contracts: Our attorneys draft, review and negotiate contracts and agreements in all business aspects including employment and human resources, real estate transactions, leases, software licenses and trade shows.
- Membership: We advise clients on the appropriate wording and interpretation of bylaws, policies and other documents regarding membership issues.
- Fundraising, development and non-dues revenue sources: Our firm regularly advises and assists our clients in negotiations relating to charitable fundraising, planned giving and establishing non-dues revenue sources.
A lawyer from either of our two office locations - Chicago or Washington, DC - would be happy to speak with you regarding your organization's needs. Call Howe & Hutton, Ltd. at 312-263-3001 (Chicago) or 202-466-7252 (Washington D.C.) or submit an online contact form and someone from the firm will be in touch with you promptly.
Our attorneys are available to travel nationally and internationally to assist your organization. Contact Howe & Hutton, Ltd. to schedule your consultation.