Your Outside
In-House Legal Counsel

Employment / Human Resources

Howe & Hutton, Ltd. assists nonprofit organizations in several capacities of human resources. Our legal services provide support to maintain the integrity of your nonprofit and ensure seamless operations of employment matters. We handle issues that include personnel matters, discrimination claims and staff handbooks.


Our attorneys have handled human resource issues such as the following:


  • Employment law and personnel issues: We advise nonprofits in personnel matters that include hiring, retention and termination of staff. Terminations cover a large portion of this area, and we frequently counsel clients on discrimination claims and litigate these claims when necessary. We handle the defense of discrimination claims involving gender, age, race, religion and disability discrimination. We also advise clients on sexual harassment claims involving members and staff.
  • Employment contracts: We can hire and terminate association executives and other staff, negotiate employment contracts and negotiate severance packages. While our client is the employer organization itself, we work closely with executives and staff.
  • Staff handbooks: Our lawyers routinely review staff handbooks for nonprofits. We advise on modifications to handbooks that can better protect the organization and its staff.
  • IRS and state regulatory issues: We readily handle tax and regulatory issues that can arise when independent contractors are retained.
  • Pension plans: We continually advise client boards and staff members on the intricacies of pension plans and deferred compensation plans that are particular to exempt organizations.


Do you have a human resource issue involving a nonprofit or hospitality? Whether your nonprofit is international, national, regional, state-wide or local, an attorney from one of our office locations would be happy to speak with you regarding your legal needs.


To schedule your consultation with one of our lawyers, call Howe & Hutton, Ltd. at 312-263-3001 (ext. 237) (Chicago) or 571-499-6686 (ext. 103) (McLean, VA) or submit an online contact form and someone will be in touch with you promptly.